Monday, September 29, 2014

Fall Planting


 I know, you would think I would be sharing pictures of planting mums, not hydrangeas!  It all started when I casually went looking for fall pansies.  No pansies to be found, but instead all kinds of shrubs on sale.  I had no idea this is the time of year to buy... not just on sale, but "let me make you a bargain so I can clear out my nursery to make room for Christmas trees".  Justus and I both looked at each other and I knew we were thinking the exact same thing - looks like we'll be planting this weekend. 


 We had 28 shrubs sitting in our front lawn and then we were trying to figure out where and what we were going to do with all of them! 


 Ever since we tore out all kinds of ground cover four years ago in the front, we haven't planted anything in that space.  It was on the list, but just one of the many things we hadn't gotten to yet.  So Justus tilled, we planted and Justus even ran to the store to pick up a quick load of mulch just to see how our beds would look finished.  Now we're wondering how we went this long!     


Once we finish the mulch, the beds will wrap around the entire front and sides of the house.  Yesterday afternoon we sat on the swing for a while and I was thinking how pretty everything would hopefully look in five years... and then I realized I would have an 11 year old in five years, and I couldn't think further than that!  ;-)


Next on my list (once we finish the mulch, of course): more mums, pumpkins and pansies for the planters.  I did get out my fall pillow covers though! 


Love these burgundy leaves... 


 When we finished the chicken coop, I planted two boxwood on each side of the door.  This weekend we added more slowwww-growing boxwood to match on the side of the coop. So maybe we'll get to enjoy these in about 20 years or so.  ;-) 

 Hope you had a great weekend!

13 comments:

  1. It looks very pretty. There's nothing better than a freshly landscaped yard to enjoy! Your hydrangeas will be beautiful once they mature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you guys for not passing these lovely plants up! You will be so glad you went for it. I often go for the instant gratification purchases but am learning more and more to value long-term investments of both time and resources!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of a farmhouse of days gone by. Especially the picture of the corner of the house with swing on the porch. What a team, the work and dedication is inspiring. Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even at this stage it all looks great. Just think what it will be in just a couple of years...and then you will only have an eight year old...not an 11 year old!;>) xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Around here "fall is for planting" - you will be glad of not only a great bargain on the shrubs but also giving them a head start for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have a few trees and bushes that I have been waiting till fall to put in. I am with you, i will calculate in my head the years and then think how old the kids will be...and then i quickly move on. have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That look like a lot of work but I am sure the results will be amazing. Definitely a labor of love! Your country lifestyle is so sweet and cozy. My baby girl turned 18 this summer. Enjoy the time- it goes so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never realized that this was the time of year to buy shrubs, thanks for that info. You found some great shrubs by the way. My mother in law moves shrubs like some people move furniture. If she gets tired of them in one spot, she will dig them up and move them to another spot and they always seem to thrive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really got a lot of plants! I have seen hydrangea on sale and I am thinking I may go get some. They can be so expensive in the spring, now really is the time to buy and plant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks so pretty! I love planting this time of year. There are so many bargains!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you got an amazing deal that you couldn't pass up! You got a great selection that looks really healthy to be clearance items. I love fall for planting and did a little digging this past weekend. Like you, I went looking for something else and came home with a lovely Camellia :) Your beds are beautiful, I especially love the Hydrangeas! Deni

    ReplyDelete
  12. II love your new garden-especially the hydrangeas! This year my bush was overflowing with blooms and it is only two years old!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! And you're right - now is the perfect time to buy shrubs (on sale!) and plant them. Good job, you two.

    ReplyDelete
Copyright @ Keeping It Cozy. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign